Wednesday, September 22, 2010

blog #1

     One of the classes that I am taking this semester is an English 205 class. This class is a bible as literature class. It is not a religion class in the sense that it is targeted to encourage me to analyze and respond to the language of texts. I am supposed to understand, talk, and write about literature. I am also supposed to read things and look at them from different point of views. When i first came into the class, the professor told me to forget everything I was ever taught about the bible and look at things in a new light. Being that the actual bible is the only book used in this class,we read and discuss chapters and verses from the bible on a daily basis. The bible clearly states that God is omnipotent because he tested people to see if they would obey him. God also created everything and said "Andit was good." at the end of every creation clarifying that he knew what he was doing but, there is some skeptical in believing whether he is omniscient. The bible brings up many situations as to why one would believe that he isn't, and that is what I would like to write about.
     The most reliable source that I have in order to bring up references is the bible, being that it is made up of verbal stories that were passed down and recorded. The main chapter that I will be using is Genesis because I believe that Genesis has a few examples that will back up my beliefs. The best part about using the chapter Genesis as a reference is that the beginning of Genesis is supposed to be the beginning of everything. When God created the world and everything in it. That is why most people think that he is perfect from the start because it was in his power to create every single living species. Being that he is said to be the creator of everything, he is supposed to know everything good from bad. But, the bible states something different as Genesis goes on showing us that maybe he is not perfect after all. There is some speculation with that and I want to write about my opinion.
     I think that this is a good topic to write about because it is making me look at things from two different point of views. Many different people have many different views on God and his knowledge so, this paper helps me give a wide variety of opinions from others as well as my own. I do have many questions and you can say that most of them are answered in the bible but, it is up to me to analyze and try to break down the messages that have been written through this book. One of the most important questions I have is if God is almighty and knows everyting, then why did he have to remake two of his creations? Wasn't he supposed to get things right the first time? This is just an idea of where I am going with this. This is where many people disagree because like I said before, everybody has their own different point of views on God and his knowledge as well as power. He is characterized differently in everone's eyes. I am looking forward to this paper to share  my opinions and views.

5 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea. We will have to get you to the Biblical Scholarship you need (theres a LOT of it out there!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This topic is right up my alley! I went to a Roman Catholic school from kindergarten through eighth grade. I always played devil’s advocate (pun most definitely intended) and received a lot of grief for it. I knew this religion wasn’t right for me and in high school I went through a spiritual journey trying to find what worked for me. I have never stopped debating things in the Bible that I found to be inconsistent or hypocritical. I might be taking English 205 Bible as Literature in the next session. I’d like to ask you, who is your professor and how openly are you able to speak in class? From what you wrote it seems that you are able to dissect and question the bible without persecution. I am more inclined to take this class now because I want to finally be able to do this with without getting my ear pulled or a ruler smacked on my hands. I think questioning God’s omniscience is an awesome topic. I would love to read the paper when you are done.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had know idea La Guardia had such a class. I think that the questions you raised are one's that everyone in some form are wondering too. Do you think that your focus will be "Why did GOD have to remake two of his creations? Good luck with your paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer - try to narrow this down to one small part/story from the Bible. Just Adam and Eve or just the Tower of Babel. Then you gendig in. Also, be careful of sentence fragments.

    ReplyDelete