Sunday, April 3, 2011

critical thinking blog #3 lib 200

               For my research paper, I was thinking of writing about Science and Technology: Promise and Peril. My two choices are to talk about the promise of the internet versus its possible negative effects on our attention span, and/or physical or mental health or the promise of artificial intelligence  versus the dangers and problems for loss of labor. In the first topic I can talk about how much time people spend on a daily basis using technology and what we get out of that. I can also talk about how much times have changed. Children now a days rather stay in and play video ga,es rather than go outside and play in a park. Technology has been the lead cause in childhood obesity in the United states. In the second topic, I can talk about how far technology has come to the point where people are being replaced with computers because it saves companies money and people are left out of jobs. Both of these topics are great choices for me because we are surrounded by technology everyday of our lives. I can talk about how technology affects us as a population or as individuals. I believe these are both good topics because they are things that people can relate to.

         Ultimately, I think I am going to write about the first topic. The promise of the internet versus its possible negative effects on our attention span, and/or physical or mental health. This argument has alot of topics that I can cover. I will be able to talk about the lack of verbal communication with people because of texting and facebook (just to name a few.) I will also be able to talk about the wonders that the internet has done for us from finding long lost family members to letting us listen to music the minute after an artist decides to drop it. Everyone benefits from technology and everyone suffers as well.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great topic to research. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went with your first option. I think you'll find more resources for this topic than for the second, and it'll help to produce a great paper
    - Mel

    ReplyDelete